Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Day4-5

Right before I left I had a dinner with one of the professors from my department. During this meeting I received the best advice about living abroad and life in general. "Be you, dress like yourself, act like yourself, and the rest will follow," was his advice to me. At that point I wasn't sure what to think or who to believe. I was too busy packing everything that I would need for my year stay in Spain and worrying about boarding and flying on only the third airplane in my life (the first two only being puddle jumpers between West Virginia, Washington D.C., and Kentucky)
When I arrived in Spain I was jetlagged, disoriented, and generally overwhelmed. The long trip through customs, the train stations, and locating my new apartment complex was a blurry haze. Once I arrived and got settled in I was forced to decide whose advice to follow.
Well, after phrasing that question to myself in those words, it didn't take long to realize what the answer should be. I took the advice of my professor and as Robert Frost once said, "and that has made all the difference." I found out that my new friends were American, Spanish, Indonesian, French, Irish and we all wore white socks, went to McDonalds, and were ourselves.
1.department---部門 13.located---位於
2.meeting---會議 14.complex---複雜的
3.in gereral---一般而言 15.blurry---污斑的
4.packing---包裝 16.haze---使模糊
5.boarding---上(船,飛機) 17.settle in---定居...
6.puddle-jumper---小型飛機 18.be forced to---被逼著做...
8.jetlagged---時差 19.phrase---用言語表達
9.disoriented---使...失去方向,迷惘 20.find out---找出
10.gererally---廣泛地,普遍地
11.overwhelmed---使不知所措
12.customs--- 海關

1 comment:

Mavis said...

補充:complex-(n)綜合設施.綜合體
find out-發現